Sunday, February 14, 2021

#36 - Valentine: Emma and Clifford Olsen

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks (2021-06)

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks is a series of weekly prompts to get you to think about an ancestor and share something about them. The weekly prompt is provided by www.amyjohnsoncrow.com. The prompt for the week of February 7 is "Valentine." 


After my grandmother, Emma D. Hillenbrand Olsen passed away in 2011, my parents went and closed up her house.  Among her things they found many papers where she had written things down, sort of like a diary.  One of those papers was titled "My Courtship with My Clifford Olsen."  My grandmother typed this paper.  So for this Valentine's Day, I'm sharing some transcribed excerpts from this paper (grammar, spelling, and typing typos are as they are in the original.)

"When I first saw Clifford it was at Marie's house when he ised to go by Cecelia's house with Tommy.  I used to go over there making believe I had to go there for something and every time it was to see him.  He was bashful and so was I..."

Marie and Cecelia were older sisters of Emma.  

"After that we went to parties, dances, and then I met his family."

Cliff and Emma pouring a drink in August 1958. 
Scan of an original photo in the collection of ©Virginia E. Summers Olsen, 2021.

"Clifford and I love each other that noone can separate us.  we are planning to get married and have a beautiful home with all its trimmings."

Wedding picture of Emma and Clifford Olsen.  Married November 28, 1943, Grace Lutheran Church, North Bellmore, Long Island, New York.  Matron of Honor: Ethel Olsen Bergman; Best Man: Peter Hillenbrand.
Scanned, cropped, and enhanced image from an original photo in the collection of ©Virginia E. Summers Olsen.

After his service during World War II, Emma and Clifford lived at 436 Lakeview Road, Bellmore (in a converted garage), and starting in 1952 at 2345 Simms Avenue in North Bellmore.

Olsen family home at 2345 Simms Ave., North Bellmore, New York.  March 1960.
Scanned image from an original photo in the collection of ©Virginia E. Summers Olsen.

Cliff died in 1966 and Emma continued to live in the home until she sold it and moved to Florida in 1977.



How I'm related to Clifford Olsen and Emma Hillenbrand Olsen:

                           Clifford Olsen = Emma Hillenbrand Olsen
                                                      |
                                                    Dad = Mom
                                                            |
                                                          Me

1 comment: