Sunday, February 14, 2021

#35 - In the Kitchen: The Cookie Jar

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks (2021-05)

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks is a series of weekly prompts to get you to think about an ancestor and share something about them. The weekly prompt is provided by www.amyjohnsoncrow.com. The prompt for the week of January 31 is "In the Kitchen."



As we were growing up as kids, this cookie jar was in the kitchen of my grandmother, Anna Marie Gillen Summers.  

Apparently, the cookie jar is a vintage collectible.  It is a "Wise Old Owl Cookie Stories" cookie jar from the Robinson Ransbottom Pottery from the 1950's.  When my grandparents sold their house in New York and moved to Florida, the cookie jar was one of the items that my brother saved and brought home.

Growing up we would find this filled with cookies most of the time we visited their home on Long Island.  The two cookies I remember the most were windmill cookies and peanut butter cookies.  The peanut butter cookies were the favorite of my uncle.  The windmill cookies were the favorite of my grandfather Charles William (Soltis) Summers.  

The windmill cookies that were often in the jar were storebought.



In 2019, for Christmas, I thought it would be a great present to give my brother windmill cookies for his cookie jar.  But I didn't want to just buy him a box of cookies, I thought I should bake him cookies.  So I did some quick research and found that the Archway windmill cookies are a type of cookie called Speculaas cookies.  Speculaas cookies are traditionally from the Netherlands, but also popular in Germany.  They are a thin,  crunchy cookie that tastes like gingerbread because they have cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.  I found this easy recipe and bought a windmill mold.   I made him a batch of cookies and give him the cookies, the recipe, and the mold.  Hopefully, he will make a batch and share them with me! 


How I'm related to Anna Marie Gillen Summers and Charles William (Soltis) Summers:

                                   Charles (SOLTIS) SUMMERS = Anna Marie GILLEN
                                                                                          |
                                                                            Dad = Mom
                                                                                     |
                                                                                   Me


References: 
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculaas

1 comment: