Sunday, April 12, 2020

A Virtual Easter Parade Through the Years

It's been a while since I've posted a Family History Blog Post!

Contemporary History: COVID-19


I thought I'd start this post off with some current events as we are living through history right now in 2020.  As family looks back on this post in years to come, I'd like to give some personal perspective about the COVID-19 or Corona Virus.



At first the Corona Virus seemed to be something that was just happening in other parts of the world.  And then it showed up in the United States and in Virginia.  In a matter of weeks we went from normalcy to wash your hands, don't touch your face, to stay out of large groups, to school closings, to stay out of groups of 50 or more, to work at home orders, to businesses closing, to stay out of groups of 10 and ending up in shelter in place orders - going out only for essential services.

For me, on Friday, March 13, I left work with Virginia Cooperative Extension, Henrico County office with the possibility that the following week I might have to work from home for a short period of time.  I knew that afternoon that on Tuesday, Henrico County would be conducting a stress test of their network by having 20% of the workforce work virtually from home.  Since I already had the equipment setup to do this, I was selected to be part of the 20% to test.  And knowing that during this week the situation was rapidly changing on a day-to-day, neigh almost hour-to-hour basis, I decided that I would take my equipment home to be prepared to work from home the entire next week.  The following Monday, Henrico County closed government services for the day to evaluate the rapidly changing situation.  The county decided that they would implement their Emergency Response plan and move from Level 5, normal operations to Level 3, limited operations.  That meant that only essential positions would report to work the next day, with the remainder to work virtually.  The next day, Tuesday, I began to work virtually from home.  During the week of March 16, the situation continued to change on a rapid pace.  By the end of the week Henrico County had moved to Level 2 of their Emergency Response plan and closed all non-essential offices.  The extension office was one that was closed.

I began my teleworking by setting up my at-home office in the den.  This is where we had a built in desk located.  For the next couple of weeks this is where I worked during the day.  And as the situation was changing very rapidly, almost hourly we were constantly monitoring the news.  Since I was set-up in the den, the TV was on constantly.

As reality set in along with the cumulative effects of "social distancing", tele-working, sheltering in place, the constant "noise" of the news, I began to feel more overwhelmed.  After two weeks of this arrangement, I needed to make a change. So on Monday, March 30, I moved my at-home office from the den to the dining room.  This allowed me to get some distance from the news and the TV.  I also did not have to look at my at-home desk at night while trying to relax.  I got a better view of the outside by being close to the window and looking out over our bird feeders on the deck.

Slowly over the last 2 weeks with this change of work location and the although there have been some more changes due to the Corona Virus, I have settled in a "New Normal."  This new normal looks like it will last most likely into June.  And I have slowly began to feel regular.

Which brings us to today...Kristie and I decided to have a change of scenery to shelter in place for the Easter holiday by going to our mountain house at Wintergreen. 

Blue Ridge Mountains, Wintergreen Resort, Virginia.  ©Edward R. Olsen

Because of social distancing requirements and shelter in place orders, Easter 2020 is going to be very different than other years.  No going to church - virtual services this year.  No family gatherings - a planned celebration for dad's 75th birthday and my brother's upcoming 50th birthday have been cancelled.

Easter Celebrations of the Past


I decided to virtually celebrate Easter on the blog by posting some pictures of Easter Celebrations of the past.

Hillenbrand Easter Picnic 2008.  Easter Bonnet Contest. Oscar Scherer State Park, Sarasota, Florida.  Cropped and edited image from a scan of the original photograph in the personal collection of ©Virginia Summers Olsen.  Photo likely taken by David Olsen.
Emma Hillenbrand Olsen with her winning hat at the Hillenbrand Easter Picnic, 2008.  Oscar Scherer State Park, Sarasota, Florida.  Scan of original photograph in the personal collection of ©Virginia Summers Olsen.  Photo likely taken by David Olsen.
L-R: Ron, Denny and David Olsen, Easter 1964.  Scan of original photo in the personal collection of ©Virginia Summers Olsen.
Emma Hillenbrand Olsen, Marie Hillenbrand Waas, Cecelia Hillenbrand and Tina Hillenbrand McCarthy,  Easter 1956.  Scan of original photo in the personal collection of ©Virginia Summers Olsen

Easter 1962 (L-R) Anna Gillen Summers, Frank Gillen, Ed Gillen, Peggy Karber Gillen, Ken Summers.  Photo in front of Ed Gillen's house at 1464 Rhode Ave., N. Merrick, New York.  Scan of photo in the personal collection of ©Virginia Summers Olsen.

Easter 2003.  Getting ready for an egg hunt in the backyard, Sandy Hook, Virginia.  L-R: Drew, Rob, Matt, Nick and Ginny Olsen.  Digital image in the collection of ©Edward R. Olsen.


1 comment:

  1. I love all the Easter pics you shared! We celebrated by watching our grandkids dye Easter eggs over Facetime. And you mention the Cooperative Extension: my dad was an editor for them in Morgantown, WV, Blacksburg, VA and later, Pullman, WA, when I was growing up! :)

    ~Tui Snider, @TuiSnider TuiSnider.com - Historic Cemeteries & Symbolism from A to Z

    ReplyDelete