Wednesday, July 1, 2020

#26: Handed Down - Crocheted Crafts

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks (2020-24)

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks is a series of weekly prompts to get you to think about an ancestor and share something about them. The weekly prompt is provided by www.amyjohnsoncrow.com. The prompt for the week of June 10 is "Handed Down."  If your keeping track of my blog posts, you will see that I am running late on posting this on time!


So what am I covering in this week's post with the theme "Handed Down?"  I'm writing about the crocheting that my grandmother Emma Dorothy Hillenbrand Olsen did.

When I first saw this theme and it aligned with the family name Hillenbrand in my family name blogging order, I immediately thought of my grandmother and her crocheting.  When my wife and I got married in 1992, my grandmother wanted to crochet a blanket for us as a wedding gift.  We picked white and dark blue as our colors.

Photo Credit: ©Virginia Summers Olsen, 1992.  This picture was taken in our first home in 1992 shortly after we moved in.  See all the "stuff" in the left corner?  
Sadly, I can't locate this blanket today.  I am pretty sure that it is stored in the attic somewhere, but I can't locate it now as full as the attic is right now (and hot!).

My grandmother loved to craft and crochet.  Below are some other items that she made. Emma loved to crochet holiday outfits for dolls.  Here are a couple pictures of those.
Photo Credit: ©Virginia Summers Olsen. The picture was taken by Emma.



Photo Credit: ©Virginia Summers Olsen of dolls made by Emma.


Photo Credit: ©Virginia Summers Olsen.  This picture was taken by Emma. Patriotic doll dress with photos of Emma's grandchildren (btw, that's me on the left!)


How I'm related to Emma Dorothy Hillenbrand Olsen:

                           Clifford Olsen = Emma Hillenbrand Olsen
                                                      |
                                                    Dad = Mom
                                                            |
                                                          Me

No comments:

Post a Comment